The Wooden Shoes that Farmers use
Buy yourself some wooden shoes in the traditional farmer design. Wooden shoes have been worn in the Netherlands for centuries, and it is still popular untill this day. It is the perfect shoe for around the house. It is also one of the most iconic souvenirs from Holland. It's a fun item to gift, or to get as a nice gift from Holland. What's more Dutch then some traditional wooden shoes.
Wooden Shoes, the perfect shoe for around the house.
Made from lightweight poplar wood, that will provide perfect isolation. Keeping your feet cool in the summer, and warm on the cold winterdays. The shoe is waterproof. When you drop tools, it is no problem. The clog will protect you.
The story behind the traditional wooden shoe design.
The story behind this design dates back centuries ago: Leather footwear was only affordable for the wealthier people. Wood was a lot more available so it became a cheap solution for the poorer class. Too camouflage their "poor people shoes" they painted it like leather shoes. The three crosses on the shoe represent the lacers. Altough many people mistake them for the three crosses of Amsterdam. This design is the most popular design on wooden shoes in the Netherlands, for many Dutch farmers these clogs are the footwear of choice.
The main advantages of a wooden shoe:
- waterresistant, you will never get wet feet.
- the wood provides isolation, it keeps the feet warm in the winter and cold in the summer.
- never get sweaty feet.
- orthopedically shaped, resulting in good support and healthy posture
- safety shoe (has a CE quality mark, and is tested to ressist a pressure of 300 kg / 661 lbs)
- sharp objects on the ground wont pierce your shoe.
- easy to get on and off.
- you can give your shoes a second life as planter.